Tracy Sweeny Principal & Intellectual Property Lawyer
Professional Biography and Experience
I am from a family with a long history in Wollongong, my family originally settled in Mt Kembla in the 1890s and later moved to Thirroul where my family still resides. My great grandfather was 14 years old and the youngest surviving miner when the Mt Kembla mine blew up in 1902. I have been working in the intellectual property space for over 30 years, since 1977. Schooled in Sydney and Italy. I have worked in the UK, Ireland and the US. I have been practising law in Wollongong for over 24 years, firstly as a Crown Barrister and later admitted as a Solicitor to enable a much wider area of practice. I commenced my law practice at the Director of Public Prosecutions as a Crown Prosecutor in Wollongong and Sydney. Whilst my children were young, I have law as a full time and part-time academic lecturer at the University of Wollongong Faculty of Law teaching in both the core LLB and elective LAW subjects, including supervising post-graduate students in IP. I then took up a full time tenure lectureship at the University of Technology Sydney Faculty of Law specialising in intellectual property law and corporate commercial law. During my lectureship at UTS I taught in the Patent and Trade Mark Attorney qualification, the Masters of Industrial Property degree. I further have practised law as Legal Counsel at the IMB Bank, the local Illawarra Based Bank, practising in corporate commercial and intellectual property law, this path eventually led to Sweeny Legal IP, a private law firm in intellectual property law and corporate commercial law located in Wollongong. I have studied here university qualifications in Australia and in the UK. I have Post Graduate and Master of Laws degrees in intellectual property and corporate commercial law. I have a particular interest in innovation law and commercialisation, trade marks, advertising and intellectual property portfolio advice generally, and how to protect the logos, brands, technology and other intellectual property of a business or individual. I am married with three children. I am a people person and I am able to help clients feel at ease to discuss their needs. My career highlights involve acting for government, corporations, individuals, and small business in corporate and commercial law, trade mark law, domain names, copyright law, patent law and design law rights disputes, including management of many IP portfolios large and small incorporating successful brand strategies for a varied client base.
Winner of the Lawyers Monthly Award for Intellectual Property Law Firm 2017.
Winner of the Corporate INTL Award Innovation Lawyer of the Year 2015 for Australia.
- BA Bachelor of Arts Hons (University of Sydney)
- LLB Bachelor of Laws Hons (University of Technology Sydney)
- LLM Master of Laws in Intellectual Property Law and Commercial Law (University of Sydney)
- PGDipIP Post Graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice (in progress Merton College. University of Oxford UK)
- PhD Intellectual Property Law ( ceased University of Sydney)
- Diploma in Art Law (Institute of Art and Law, London and Wales UK)
- GradDipLegalPrac Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice (University of Technology Sydney)
- DipLib Diploma of Librarianship (University of New South Wales)
- Diploma of Training and Assessment (Australian Training College)
- Solicitor and Barrister of the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the High Court of Australia
- Solicitor admitted in England and Wales (UK)
- Research Associate of the UNSW Cyberspace Law and Policy Centre
- Former Lecturer in Law University of Wollongong Faculty of Law
- Former Lecturer in Law University of Technology Sydney Faculty of Law
- Trade Mark Owner- 6 trade marks in 2 classes
- Licensing Executives Society of Australia and New Zealand http://www.lesanz.org.au
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand Inc. http://www.ipsanz.com.au
- Research Associate, UNSW Cyberspace Law and Policy Centre
- Member Bar Association of NSW http://www.nswbar.asn.au
- Member Law Society of NSW http://www.lawsociety.com.au
- Member Women Lawyers Association of NSW http://www.womenlawyersnsw.org.au
- Research Associate of Australian Library and Information Association http://www.alia.org.au
- Associate Australian law Librarian's Association http://www.alla.asn.au
- Sweeny, Tracy A. Legal method, research and reasoning and Consumer Credit in Terry, Andrew and Giugni, Des Business and the Law. 5th edition. Melbourne, Cengage Learning, 2009
- Sweeny, Tracy A. "Trade Marks v Dot.Com", UTS Law Online Commercial Law Publication 2006-07 (LSF Grant)
- Sweeny, Tracy A. “Brand name bullies: Trade marks v culture”, UTS Online Commercial law Publication 2006-07 (LSF Grant)
- Sweeny, Tracy A. Legal method, research and reasoning in Terry, Andrew and Giugni, Des Business and the law. 4th ed. Southbank, Vic, Thomson, 2005.
- Sweeny, Tracy A. How do you protect traditional knowledge in the context of international trade? UNSW Law Faculty. Seminar presentation. September 2004.
- Sweeny, Tracy A. Data encryption technology: cops and robbers in cyberspace. Opening law Making Links - Crossing Borders. 20th Annual Law and Society Conference Wollongong, Australia Law and Society Conference. 9 – 11 December 2002.
- Sweeny, Tracy A. Consumer credit in Terry, Andrew and Giugni, Des Business society and the law. 3rd ed. Southbank, Vic, Thomson, 2003
- Sweeny, Tracy A. Legal method, research and reasoning in Terry, Andrew and Giugni, Des Business society and the law. 3rd ed. Southbank, Vic, Thomson, 2003
- Sweeny, Tracy A. LLB395 Legal Research and Writing Workbook. Wollongong, NSW: University of Wollongong Law Library, 2001
Liability by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation